- multimedia mul‧ti‧me‧di‧a [ˌmʌltiˈmiːdiə◂] adjective1. COMPUTING using a mixture of sound, pictures, film, and writing to communicate, educate, or entertain:
• Multimedia computers have attracted a new group of buyers.
• This laptop can run multimedia games programs.2. using several different methods of presenting information or advertising, for example television, newspapers, books, and computers:
• a multimedia public education campaign about the dangers of smoking— multimedia noun [uncountable] :
• Soon all teachers will be using multimedia in the classroom.
* * *Ⅰ.multimedia UK US (also multi-media) /ˌmʌltiˈmiːdiə/ adjective [before noun] IT, COMMUNICATIONS► communicating or sharing information in the form of sound, pictures, and video as well as text: »
Multimedia content now forms an integral part of mobile phone services.»
a multimedia presentation/production/project► a multimedia industry or activity uses different types of media, such as computers, television, and newspapers, in order to sell or present information: »
a multimedia advertising/marketing campaignⅡ.multimedia UK US (also multi-media) /ˌmʌltiˈmiːdiə/ noun [U] IT, COMMUNICATIONS► the use of many different types of media to communicate and share information, especially using computers as well as traditional media: »
The development of consumer electronics was influenced by the growing popularity of information technology and multi-media.»
She is associate creative director of multimedia at a broadcasting company.
Financial and business terms. 2012.